Hunting for a Sweet Senior Fall Prevention Program? See how Portland OHSU has used EPIC EHR software integration of CDC STEADI (Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths & Injuries) to decrease falls!
Every year, millions of older adults in the United States—age 65 and older—fall. In fact, one out of four older adults in America falls each year, but less than half tell their doctor. Falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths among older adults, and they are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries and hip fractures.
The main components of STEADI:
- Screen patients for fall risk. Ask if they’ve fallen in the past year, feel unsteady, or worry about falling.
- Assess patient’s modifiable risk factors.
- Intervene to reduce risk by using effective clinical and community strategies.
OHSU successfully implemented the STEADI algorithm in a large primary care setting by:
- Having clinic champions within the clinic
- Customizing the clinical workflow to work seamlessly within the normal processes
- Developing EHR tools, using EPIC a healthcare software, specifically for falls screening and prevention in older adults
- Partnering with the state health department to provide a community-based resource for patients, and
- Asking for feedback, keeping partners informed, and engaging collaborators
By integrating STEADI into a OHSU clinic over a five-year period they reduced falls in older adults at the community, health system, and practice levels! Here is the algorithm http://bit.ly/2Y5cqt6
What if we change the current 1 in 5 seniors falling and
having a traumatic injury to 1 in 10!
Yes, that’s value-based healthcare, good outcomes and our seniors thriving!
Let’s see the other major EHR (Electronic Health Records) companies get on board with integrating STEADI in a simple easy to use format. This includes: Athenahealth, eClinicalWorks, NextGen, Greenway Health, Cerner, Allscripts
Rehab Therapy software needs to include simple and easy STEADI protocol applications. This includes: Optima, Casamba, CareVoyant, Clinicient, and CareCloud.
For the complete article: http://bit.ly/2W8jB6f
The STEADI Protocol coordinates well with the goals of value-based health care, better rehab outcomes, and decrease medical costs with less hospital readmissions. Therefore, the triple aim is achieved. It has a multitude of evidenced-based research. I’ve used STEADI successfully for 15 years. It is fun and easy to use in ALL medical or senior living settings and can be integrated into Telehealth for follow-up!
EXCITING TIMES! October 2019 U.S. Senate Committee on Aging report: https://www.aging.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SCA_Falls_Report_2019.pdf
- How is your state doing, see page 10?
- Upper State New York did a STEADI- based program and reduced hospitalizations due to falls by 40%! See pages 20-21
- Examine how Epic EHR integrated STEADI. See how innovative programs in different states decreased senior falls with home environment safety changes, effective community balance programs, and medication recommendations
I provide Fall Prevention Classes to MDs, Medical Professionals, Insurance Companies and Senior Communities. Let’s decrease re-hospitalizations! https://www.geriatricrehab.biz/