George was greatly troubled. He had fallen 4 times in the first three days at Happy Valley Transitional Care! He so wanted to return home with his beloved wife Glenda and delightfully playful and affectionate yellow lab, Annie.
Yeah! The rehab team was wonderful! They used STEADI, Stopping Elderly Accidents, Death & Injuries Protocol and motivational interviewing. It was determined he was hurrying to the bathroom with a walker in his moccasins, but with NO assistance. He had moderate dementia and was a high fall risk per PT TUG (Timed up and Go) balance test in his moccasins.
The treatment plan included:
- 2- page shoe test instruction for him to wear supportive Velcro shoes when out of bed.
- OT made a wall sign with George’s input on font size, words and where to place on the wall. Being a proud veteran he chose red, white and blue!
- Speech Therapy used space retrieval training with George and also trained the rehab team and nursing staff. “George, when you need to toilet what is the 1st step?”
- The resident care manager (RCM) updated the nursing care plan.
WOW! In tracking progress, he had NO FALLS the next 7 days!
Here is a link for a partial article on Speech Therapy using space retrieval and an external memory aid: http://bit.ly/2Wl9fju
Denise Kean, Occupational Therapist, Pres.
Keeping Seniors on Their Feet & Thriving!
STEADI coordinates well with the goals of value-based health care, better rehab outcomes, and decrease medical costs. Therefore, the quadruple aim is achieved. It has a multitude of evidenced based research. I’ve used STEADI successfully for 15 years. It is fun and easy to use!
EXCITING TIMES! October 2019 U.S. Senate Committee on Aging report: https://www.aging.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SCA_Falls_Report_2019.pdf
- How is your state doing, see page 10?
- Upper State New York did a STEADI- based program and reduced hospitalizations due to falls by 40%! See pages 20-21
- Examine how Epic EHR integrated STEADI. See how innovative programs in different states decreased senior falls with home environment safety changes, effective community balance programs, and medication recommendations
I provide Fall Prevention Classes to MDs, Medical Professionals, Insurance Companies and Senior Communities. Let’s decrease re-hospitalizations! https://www.geriatricrehab.biz/